Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Monday and Playing Catch up




Hyacinth bean 'Dolichos Lablab'

 We had a very busy weekend, but I didn't do any work in the gardens at all.  The weather cooled off dramatically on Sunday, we are in the 70's with a nice breeze, it doesn't even seem like the same summer!  After Thursday's interview, everything that happened afterward seems like a blur.
Flowers in the gazing globe

Oh, now I remember, on Thursday night, Joel, Cody, Ann & I went to the PGI (Pyrotechnics Guild International) fireworks display held at a racetrack in Kaukauna.   This is a competition and display of the best fireworks from all over the country and it was amazing. We didn't get home until after midnight, the humidity was awful, and the bleachers were hard to sit on, but still worth it.  Three hours of non-stop fireworks set to music; wow.  Carl opted to stay home and get some sleep, and I don't blame him, he puts in very long days.
'Inca Marigold' & Salvia 'Victoria''
The other big occasion for us this weekend was our niece, Lisa's wedding on Saturday.  
Mr. & Mrs. on their way out of church
What a beautiful wedding it was.  Lisa was simply radiant.  Her Matron of Honor was her beautiful sister, Laura, who can be seen in the picture above behind the happy couple.
The wedding party
Our great-niece, Paige, was flower girl for her Aunt Lisa




  Late last week, I decided I needed a new dress for the wedding.  Ok, I didn't technically need a new dress, as I have a 'few' other ones; I wanted a new dress.  Since there is a stash of fabric in the basement (another obsession) I managed to sew most of the dress on Friday night and finished it on Saturday morning.  I have to admit I am not in step with the times which dictate most dresses to be sleeveless, backless, (nearly frontless!) and short, short, short, no matter how old a woman is.  I went with a very demure pattern and a navy blue floral fabric and at least I was comfortable, if not in fashion.  I looked like a little old lady, but that's ok, hey, if the shoe fits, wear it, right?
Left to right, our niece Laura, her daughters, Kate (sitting) and Paige and me on the right..about as close to a picture of me as we're gonna get, I guess!  But aren't the girls CUTE?
The happy couple with their daughter, Lily, the miniature bride
We had another neighborhood wedding scheduled to come here for pictures on Saturday, too.  They thought they might come later on Saturday afternoon, so we hoped to have the timing right.   We worked outside on the garden a little bit, watering the pots and doing some tidying and then managed to make it to Lisa's ceremony by 1PM, bringing Carl's brother, Larry (the father of the bride)along with us to church ten minutes before the ceremony.  (We didn't know he needed a ride, or we would have taken him earlier!).
Larry and his lovely daughter, Lisa

After the ceremony, we had to shuttle two trucks over to the reception for members of the wedding party.  Then we came back home to wait for the other wedding to arrive.  After hanging around awhile, it was obvious they weren't coming, but we went up the road and talked to them anyway just to make sure.  Yup, or nope, or well, what I mean to say is, yes, they decided not to have pictures taken here after all.  So, since they canceled,  we were then free to go to the reception for Lisa at her MIL's house and then later on to the dinner and dance at the hotel.  It was a hectic day, but fun!

Now on to Bloomin' Tuesday!!  Just click the link on the right to see more blooms from gardeners around the country!   With the break in our weather, the annuals and perennials are finally trying to strut their stuff this summer, so here goes:


Here's my contribution to Bloomin' Tuesday!  Hope to see you soon!

'Inca' Marigolds in Riverbed
Echinacea 'Green Jewel'
'Northern Sea Oats' Chasmanthium latifolium
Should have used different lens, but will try to do better next time.
Echinacea 'Virgin' with thuja occidentalis 'Aurea'
Hyacinth bean 'Dolichos Lablab'
'Green Jewel'  
Echinacea 'Sunset'
Echinacea 'Virgin' again, sorry for the repetition, but this flower just looked so good tonight!
Zinnia 'Zahara Pink Profusion'
Zahara zinnias and 'Inca' Marigolds
More 'Inca' Marigolds
Double Cherry Profusion Zinnia

Pink 'Profusion' Zinnia
'Comtesse de Bouchard' clematis
First year planted and still blooming, why did I wait so long to plant clematis??
Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' showing off fuzzy stems
'Inca' marigold mix
'Wave' petunias and rocks
Sweet potato vine going wild!
Hydrangea 'Limelight' and the barn
Dry riverbed and bridge
'Knockout' Rose
More flowers to come.................

 Until next time,

Karen

7 comments:

Darla said...

Busy, busy. Lovely wedding and your gardens are just wonderful as usual.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Karen, it looks like you had a great time! I can't believe that your Comtesse De Bouchard is still blooming. I love this clematis but mine stopped blooming a long time ago. Your annuuals look great especially the zinnias and marigolds. I think I should plant more of these next year.

Eileen

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

My goodness, you live a full/busy life indeed. The bride was beautiful. I think your dress was lovely and can't believe you whipped it out that fast. I also love all of your marigolds and zinnias. Your gardens are stunning as usual and such a treat to tour.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Racquel said...

Wow so many beautiful photos to choose from this week. I'm crazy about the Echinaceas. :)

Jester said...

WOOOOOWWWW so many great pix, to hard to choose!YOu take the most amazing pictures! But I am a rock fanantic, so I'll probably have to go with them. Thanks to you I have decided on doing a "dry river bed" and I also stopped in my very first antique store this weekend! Not sure that was a good idea, its looking to be yet another addiction!!!hahahaha. I was upstate NY visiting family when we saw one while stopped at a light...did a "u"y and fell in love with everything in the store....turns out they had actaul stone troughs from Europe!!!!!!!Those are the inspiration behing the hypertufa that I started doing.
And you sure can sew lady! Can't beleive you just "whipped" that dress together!!! I can't even do a button. You are one awesome package of talent!!!

Jean said...

you have some beautiful color still going on! I haven't seen the Green Jewel Coneflower. Must add it to my list! Happy Bloomin' Tuesday! Jean

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow, Karen, those 'Inca' Marigolds are sure putting on a lovely display!

I agree with you on today's dress styles--not for me either.

Loving that green coneflower, too. You have an amazing assortment of folowers.