Sunday, February 23, 2014

Drifts

Right now the back yard is covered in drifts of snow. 


 In September, the yard was covered in drifts of another kind.  Supertunia Vista Bubblegum abounded.


  It's high time I start thinking of what I'm planting for this summer.  I haven't ordered any seeds yet.  The glossy seed catalogs are sitting in the bathroom drawer (oh my, there I go again, telling our secrets) but I'm still debating.  I do page through them on a daily basis while I'm tending to, er, business.


 Last spring I started around 2000 seeds of various types.  2013 was the first year I decided to plant the Bubblegum petunias as bedding plants.  I wasn't sure how they would perform, so I planted a staggered row of salvia 'Victoria' down the middle along with a secondary row of 'Inca' marigolds.

All of the flower pictures were taken September 14, 2013, which is fairly late in the season, and yet the petunias look fresh as ever. 

 I learned a lesson here.  The Bubblegum petunias are more than capable of filling up any garden space with abundant bloom.  The other annuals were swallowed up.  If I go with the Vista series again this year, it will save me from having to plant so many other varieties of annuals, since one plant covers a lot of ground beautifully.



 By mid-September our days are growing shorter, we have more rain and the nighttime temperatures drop off considerably.  The petunias looked great right up until hard frost.


I suppose I overuse them, but it is very hard to resist such an easy care, rewarding plant.


I had them in the planters out by the road.


Mixed in with Profusion Zinnias in the front bed.


Ok, so I got carried away.

I haven't seen them in person, but I have heard there are other colors in the Vista series; Fuschia, Bordeaux, and Silverberry, to name a few.  I'm going to check with my friend and nursery owner, Brenda, to see which ones she recommends.

I look forward to drifts of another color in the next few months.


These are getting old.

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Those pink petunias are wonderful and lasted for so long. I like the sound of those other colors too. Wow.

Hang in there, you'll be out playing more and more in garden related things instead of snow.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Carol said...

Very pretty. Nice to see some color. We are just starting to see green here. Ready to get out and start planting. Have a great week!

El Gaucho said...

I may have to finally give these a try, they seem to work so wonderfully in your garden.

Also, thanks for writing your previous series of posts. Having been raised in a "challenging" childhood environment, those three posts weren't easy to read, but they were helpful. It must not have been easy to write, but thank you for writing them.

Alison said...

I love the pink and orange. I've been starting seeds lately too. Do you remember where you got the Bubblegum Petunias last year?

Indie said...

I think you might see a bunch more of those type petunias springing up on garden blogger's posts - I know I'm not the only one who's been admiring them! I actually need a good filler for my flower beds until I can get more perennials to fill in. I'll have to see if there is a Vista petunia in a color that would go with my pastel theme!

Peonies & Magnolias said...

They stayed so beautiful all last year for you. I'm going to try some this year in our garden. Hopefully your drifts will disappear soon. Take care.

Sandy

AiringMyLaundry said...

What a gorgeous area!

africanaussie said...

Oh I remember your bubblegum petunias. I am always totally amazed by how your world turns from white to ultra colourful. You better order those seeds as I love to follow along as your transform your garden so magically.

Unknown said...

Love the Bubblegum Petunias, you sure do have an awesome talent. Can't wait to see this years spectacular showing. Can you buy these as seeds or just in pots?

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Gosh, your property is lovely. It looks like you have some fun garden accents, too. I love to see the "before and after" shots. Have fun planning!