Saturday, September 16, 2017

Random Mid-September Bloom


I spent all day Friday mowing lawn, here at our house and up at my Mom's.  This is the first week all summer without rain, but it is back in the forecast for later this weekend.  One thing 2017 will be remembered for is the amount of hours invested in cutting the grass.  It grew like a weed!  (Well, that's what our lawn is, a bunch of weeds, so duh.)  I can't recall ever having such a lush lawn in the past.

As I was running around with the lawn mower, I took a bunch of photos of the garden here and there.  Therefore, this is a post of randomness, starting with the Quarry at sunset.


The Pachyberm 'Bubblegum' supertunias and 'Indian Summer' rudbeckia (and assorted weeds)

 A few of the same view with differing light conditions.
With any luck, we probably only have a few weeks (if that) left before our first killing frost.  The flowers are a tangled jungle right now, but it's their last hurrah.
 Petunias, seed geraniums and dead horse chestnut leaves forming a mulch in front of the house.

Temps were in the 80's today with high humidity.  I'm still watering and fertilizing my urns and planters every day.
 'Red Velour' and 'Tidal Wave Silver' took a bit of a beating last week when we had soggy weather, but they have bounced back one more time along the driveway.
 This 'Americana' series geranium has never been out of bloom, I hope I can successfully overwinter it.  And tree grates---I spotted a Craigslist ad selling five sets of tree grates just like ours over the weekend and sent an email.  Too bad, I never heard back from the seller and the next day, the post was removed.  Putting the cart before the horse, we were already planning how we would add to our two existing ones.  Oh, well, maybe there'll be more eventually.  We picked these up at an antique store.






 Yes, another picture of the gazebo.


The trees (and hostas) are starting to turn already.




 Some of my seed coleus are finally starting to grow; they were slow this year.  The New Guinea impatiens are still going strong in the small planters.
 A real treat was this Easter lily? lookalike? which bloomed for the first time today, in September, of all things. A friend from South Carolina gave me the seed.  The lily grew to over six feet tall.  It will be interesting to see if it will overwinter here.

 What a perfect way (and lily!) to end the summer growing season.
Saturday's chore will be cutting the Back Eight with my trusty friend:
 
My Trusty Friend 574


Have a seat....I'm longwinded
Somebody weed that driveway, would you??
 
Next up: Another strange new garden addition for 2017

13 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Weeds, what weeds? All I see is beauty.

Have a great weekend dear Karen. Thank you for your encouraging comment.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Beth said...

Your gardens are looking spectacular, Karen! Our coneflowers are all dried up and the rudbeckia are going that direction quickly. The annuals and hardy hibiscus and roses are still colorful here. You have been blessed with rain; here we are in drought. We are over 5" below normal, and Ottumwa, Iowa, is over 12" short. Got to feel bad for those whose livelihoods depend upon weather.
Glad to see you posting more frequently, Karen. Take care and have a good week!
Blessings, Beth

Garden Fancy said...

Randomness never looked so beautiful! All your flowers are just so lovely, and they seem doubly so when we know frost is only weeks away. Like Beth, I'm envious of your rain and lush lawn -- ours is as dry as a bone and I've only mowed once in the past month; the ground under the grass is rock hard. :-( I actually hand watered our little fenced area of grass the other day, so desperate was I to see a bit of green. Hope you're enjoying some warm, sunny days in your autumn garden, Best -Beth

Karen said...

Rainey, oh, the weeds are there, thankfully sorta kinda smothered by the flowers. Thank you, dear friend. And I am SO glad you were safe during the hurricane. :-)

Karen said...

Beth, this has been a glorious year for gardening, moisture-wise. I can't remember a year when I didn't have to worry about watering, not that I do much anyway as I kind of go with the tough-love philosophy (and the fact my hoses don't reach out to the ends of the lot, ha.) We actually had a bit too much rain; the corn in places is yellow, but growing. The hay crop has been amazing, most farmers are on to their fourth cutting already. I hope some gentle rains arrive for you soon!

Karen said...

Beth, my heart goes out to you on the drought. We've had years of dry weather, too, and I know how discouraging it can be to watch everything suffer. I've spent such an enjoyable time at your blog, reading all about the changes you've made and the history of your farm. Fascinating! I do hope your drought ends soon. Thank you!

Ellie's friend from canada said...

Oh, how beautiful your rock garden grows! Your flowers are spectacular. We had our first hard frost last night so I'm worried about going outside. We went from +30ºC to 1ºC in a day or so. Now it is truly fall, my favourite season. The Ohio buckeye tree looks as if its leaves had been dipped in orange paint.

Thanks for the lovely tour of your garden. I love the tree grate. Too bad you didn't get more. I am inspired by it, though. It would I think make a grate trellis (sp intentional). Thanks so much! Ann

Commonweeder said...

Wow! and Wow again. Your garden is beautiful And need never worry about having a weedy lawn. I always called my lawn a 'flowery mead" and nowadays my friend the horticulltural researcher says that 'weedy' lawns provide important forage for pollinators.

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

It looks great, Karen! I don't see any weeds. I love the street grates with the Geraniums--wow! You're so creative with the props and hardscapes. :)

Alison said...

I don't see any weeds either! Your garden has certainly benefited from the rain you've had this summer, I wish we had gotten some of it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures.

outlawgardener said...

Your garden, like a fireworks show, is putting on a big flourish just before the end of the fun. Everything looks so green and healthy. Like everyone else, I can't see a single weed. Happy autumn!

chavliness said...

Tree grates! That's what those are!. I just love how you use them in the garden, I wish I had a few of them too. No wonder the garden looks so delightful: watering and feeding daily, and the plants pay you back in spades.

chavliness said...

Tree grates! That's what those are!. I just love how you use them in the garden, I wish I had a few of them too. No wonder the garden looks so delightful: watering and feeding daily, and the plants pay you back in spades.