Monday, March 4, 2019

House Touring Once Again

The weekend was once again spent on the hunt for the elusive small kitchen and dining room designs with over forty houses to choose from.  

I think we've been through over a dozen homes so far, and have come away with a lot of new ideas.  Seeing a design on a plan or pictures of a space is one thing, but being able to experience the room in person is very helpful.

Joel, Abby and Audrey went along with us on a few of the houses, which was great.  Joel was providing valet service right to the doors, so there was no need to try to park a car and get out in the middle of a snowbank.
 The snowbanks are very impressive, but no fun to climb over.

We decided to buy a laser measuring device which is coming in very handy for these tours (and for our house, too.) 

 Whenever I want to know the size of a room all I have to do is press the button for a measurement.  It draws a lot less attention than the two of us holding a measuring tape, and we had a lot of people ask us to measure rooms for them, too.  

There will be remodeled homes on tour next weekend, and I'm really looking forward to those.  New homes are wonderful, but most of them are quite large and they can have any floor plan they want.  Seeing the before and afters of the remodeled houses is what inspires me.  

But there's something to be said for being able to tour a 'dream home', too.  The largest home on this tour was over 6000 sq. ft. 
 This house was laid out in a more traditional Victorian pattern, with a more closed off floor plan as opposed to the very open concept most new homes have.  

 Formal dining room is just what it says, formal.

 One of the turrets houses a very bright bathroom.
 Balconies abound.
 Lots of balconies........

 I always wondered what a round room would be like, it's very bright.
 In the picture below, Joel is waving to me from the other wing of the house.

Below, Carl is checking out yet another turret room.

 What a staircase this mansion has, it was really incredible.  There was an elevator, too, in case the stairs prove to be too much.

 The front door (wait, surely they don't call this a front door?) ok, the Grand Foyer had a gorgeous chandelier and very, very shiny porcelain (or maybe granite or marble?) tiled floors.




 Coffered ceilings HIGH overhead, beautiful woodwork, all I could do was shake my head in wonderment.

Apparently there is going to be a large family living here and lots of laundry.
The laundry room was wider than my whole house.  

I really do like touring the opulent homes even though we could never afford them.  

I do think the older mansions and even the smaller, more humble homes have far more character and attention to detail though.  On our way to the next new house, we came across this older Craftsman style home.  I had to have Joel drive by twice so we could take pictures. 


    No, it's not 6000 sq. ft. but this house has so much character.






By the looks of things, this house might have once been part of a neighborhood that must have been cut apart to make room for a large school.  I would guess this house to be at least from the 1930's, but I'm no expert.  

We're just glad it was allowed to remain after the school was built.  What we wouldn't give to tour this one.......


 Sometimes as we drive around we run across homes that make us catch our breath. This house is blessed with picture perfect proportions which makes it seem warm and cozy and yet exudes timeless elegance.  

What a beauty.

They sure don't build them like they used to.

 
 

3 comments:

outlawgardener said...

Wow, that's an impressive house but I can't imagine even trying to keep 6,000 square feet clean as our much smaller house is usually a pig sty. I'm a fan of the less open floor plan and the woodwork but what's up with the chandelier inside the sphere. Looks kind of like a Jetson's/victorian/mid-century modern mash up. (Interesting but seemed out of place in that setting.) It's so much fun touring homes with you. Older homes speak to me too.

Karen said...

outlawgardener, I heartily agree with you about the light fixture, Carl and I were thinking the same thing. What the heck IS that? But then most of the lighting in the new homes is the same way, I think it's probably going to go down in history as '2000's Illumination Bizarre'. Yet, you'd be surprised how many people ooh and ahh over the light fixtures. I guess, to each his own, but give me a classic chandelier any time.

Alison said...

I wouldn't want to have to change the light bulbs in any of those light fixtures. We have a simple one over a staircase that has been dark for several years now because we don't want to chance climbing a ladder over the stairs. What a lovely old home you found! It would have been wonderful to see inside it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you finally end up with in your own remodel. I love older Craftsman-style homes with character, but if they've been well-maintained they can be very expensive too.