Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Garden From a Visitor's Point of View

 Easter came and went, very quietly.  Carl and I had some leftovers and watched the rain slide down the windows at dinnertime.  

As soon as the meal (such as it was) was over, Carl went back to work on the staircase.

We'll both be very glad when this part of the remodel is complete.   There is still a lot of work to be done, though. (Stay tuned for progress updates.)

Anyway, the other night I wasn't able to sleep, so I did some online searches for hosta gardens to ease my mind.  My search eventually led to a page about the American Hosta Society National Convention that was held here in Wisconsin in June of 2019.   

As I've blathered on before, we were one of the tour gardens for the approximately five hundred attendees.  If the pandemic had occurred last year, I have a feeling we wouldn't have had a convention and I highly doubt we would have remodeled the house, either.  What a difference a year makes...seems like it was so very long ago.

Anyway, what was I saying?  Oh, yeah, I was looking at pictures of gardens and thought, 'Gee, this looks familiar, someone else must like rocks,' until I realized it was our garden I was looking at.


If you look close, you can see a tourist roaming in the background.
One thing that never fails to amaze me is how different our garden looks when pictures are taken by other people.  They find angles I never dreamed of, apparently.  

So, that said, what follows is a bunch of pictures taken by tourists last June, along with my scintillating commentary. 

 It certainly was a wet, gloomy, dreary June day, but thankfully for us, at least we had no downpours when they were here.

Above is the view out of our new dining nook.  Well, it doesn't look like that right now, due to the remodeling excavation, but with a little luck, we'll get it back in shape soon.

 Below is one of Carl's stainless steel sculptures, in a view I've never succeeded in capturing.


The dome in the Formal Garden with fresh pine needle mulch.  

After the rocks, the second most-asked question when we have tours is, 'Where do you purchase your pine needle mulch?' 

 The answer is we have free mulch for the taking in the Back Eight.  (And my dear friend Ann is The Best Mulcher.  Ann came and worked for two days straight mulching for this convention!)

The third most-asked question is, "Aren't you worried about acidity and PH levels from using pine needle mulch?"  

The answer, nope.  Once the needles have dropped to the ground, most of the acidity has already declined.  No problems here.
  

Hosta 'Iris Frazier', looking very impressive last year, this conventioneer was a great photographer.

I realize I have never written about the sculpture pictured above.  We entitled this one 'Blue Skies'.  Carl welded this up last May and I stuck my two cents' in and we added the stained glass.  I'll have to devote a post to it soon.
The Escarpment and Hosta 'Liberty', always a showstopper and my favorite plant.
Another view of the Quarry, and another unique angle.
Hosta 'Center of Attention' which apparently was living up to its name.
The old Pan Fountain (Carl's light shades on stands) from a fresh point of view.
Not sure what caught the visitor's attention about these hostas.


This is a seedling bed behind the Quarry Hill which has some interesting specimens of ours intermingled with some named varieties with 'Sutherland Gold' sambucus.

Hosta 'Chiquita' with bright spring coloration.

East side of Quarry Hill, with a 'Miss Kim' lilac in bloom.
Another specimen of 'Center of Attention', just a split off of the main plant.
Carl's rotating ball fountain.  We had to take this all apart for the remodel, and now it's plopped in a pile in front of the shop.  We'll have to find a new home for it. 
Northeast side of the Quarry Hill.  I've never taken a picture of this area which is why I was puzzled at first as to whether it is our garden or not.
The Quarry waterfall (such as it is) and goldfish and koi
Hosta 'Sea Thunder', an older variety, but one that caught the photographer's attention.
Tree grate and stained glass window.
The golden moneywort and a Picea abies 'Glauca Pendula' make an interesting combination.

I'm glad no one asked me what variety of 'daisy' these are; they spread from seed, and are quite prolific.  I've had them for years, but don't recall if it was something I grew from seed or a plant I purchased.  They bloom early for us, in May and with repeat in late summer.  I wouldn't consider them invasive, really, but they do get around.
The blue 'Tardig' in the background with one of Carl's stainless tank heads propped up on a PVC pipe with the whole shebang painted rusty red and my friend Brenda's fantastic Dragon Wing begonias planting adding color to the hosta bed.

We had the 574 and the Manley Wrecking Crane parked for demonstration purposes for the tour.  There were a lot of questions about how we placed all the rocks, and there's no better visual aid.
Yet another view from the top of the Quarry Hill with convention guests in the background (and our house, which doesn't look anything like that anymore.)


The entrance garden at the front of the house doesn't look like this any more either, but we're anxious to renovate it again now that the construction is done.

Hosta 'Designer Genes'
One of Carl's stainless rings waiting for a stained glass insert.
Hosta 'Captain Kirk' with a painted fern.
Random hostas and rocks.
Left to right: Serbian spruce 'Picea Omorika', Picea Abies 'Pendula Glauca', Picea pungens 'Fat Albert',  Thuja occidentalis 'Sunkist' and some rocks.
I think what caught their eye here was the tufa wall in the hosta bed.
The Pachyberm on the west side of the house with a 'Louisa' weeping crabapple.

Our 1930's Aeromotor windmill.
Hosta 'Lady Isobel Barnett' on the East Quarry Hill with a bunch of dwarf conifers.
The Lane Bed and a mix of hostas, ferns and rocks.
Middle of the Lane Bed, with some miniature hosta cultivars.
The Stone House still waiting completion..........
Random 'holey' rock folly.
Hostas and rocks on the Lane Bed, hosta 'Liberty' is the flashy one in the middle with the white margins.
Hosta 'Choo Choo Train'.

Hosta 'King Tut'
The Shop Bed.

We spent weeks sprucing up the garden for the convention, so it was nice to see a visitor's perspective after all the hard work. 

 I doubt we will ever have as many visitors again in one day, so we look at this one as our Last Big Hurrah.  It was fun while it lasted.  We're not getting any younger and my joints are not what they used to be.

But we have the next generation coming up, and who knows?  Audrey may want to follow in her silly grandparent's garden shoes.


She has a great love of rocks already, she's always collecting special specimens wherever she goes. 
                  There is always hope for the future.  

Before we know it, summer will be here.  Brighter days are ahead. :-)






5 comments:

chavliness said...

This was a fantastic review and a picture-generous garden post. A nice change of pace after the remodeling (so good to see the finish line on the horizon). I noticed visitors always find new angles from which to take pictures and present fresh points of view that may even surprise the home gardener. I'm stunned and impressed by Carl's water features and by the huge number of Hosta you have. Although I grow a few, I couldn't name any... Hosta 'Liberty' is STUNNING!
I so hope Audrey follows in your foot steps, as she already displays strong affinity to rocks :-D
I'm looking forward to updates on the staircase soon. Carl is working so hard on it, I'm sure it would be a show piece.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, how neat to see your gardens from other's perspective. Your place is wonderful!!! I've been missing your home updates, seeing what you two are up to You've been in my thoughts and prayers. Love you ~ FlowerLady

Beth at PlantPostings said...

You guys are so talented! The landscaping, the plants, the sculptural pieces, all of it! That first sculpture reminds me of a dried Allium seedhead. Your Easter sounds like ours--very comfy, quiet, and homey.

chavliness said...

I have not seen a post from you in a long time... I hope you and Carl are doing well and staying healthy!

chavliness said...

It has been a while since your last post. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and doing well!