Thursday, March 17, 2011

Antiquities

 My 53rd birthday was last week Thursday.  

Wow.  

53.

 Fifty-three.  Fifty-three.  


No matter how you write it, the fact remains-- that's a big number. 



Anyway, Carl took the day off work to help me celebrate and we took a little drive which is one of our favorite pastimes. Another thing we love to do is prowl around in antique stores and we decided to stop in at our favorite shop to see what was new.  Ok, not new, old---I mean, antique.   Sorta like me. 

I spotted a stained glass transom window in the store and for some inexplicable reason, we bought it.  I don't know why, really.  It's not like we couldn't build this window if we wanted to.  Compared to a lamp, the 125+ pieces wouldn't be a tremendous amount of work to recreate, but there was just something about the textured glass and the colors used in the window that we both liked.   The window is in a wooden frame that has a quite a bit of dry rot in it, so a new frame is in order, but the glass itself has no breaks whatsoever, which is amazing.

We had both walked away from the window and decided against it, but when I asked the owner if there was any room for negotiation on the price and he came down significantly, well, then it was a done deal.  Back up the car, we're buying a window.

Carl said, "I bet this window is old, maybe 50 years or more."  Then he realized what he'd just said-- heck, we're both 53 already, so this window is likely a bit older than us.
(I could be wrong;  I've got dry rot settling in places, too.)  
 So, we brought home our new-old window and hung it in the living room.  Neither of our sons were too taken with it; they said it's ok, but thought we could have built something better ourselves.  Yeah, maybe we could have, but the old window just spoke to Carl and I. 

 Us antiques have to stick together.

14 comments:

Darla said...

I think it's a great window myself! Happy birthday, last week.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Happy Birthday Karen,

I have both old and new stained glass. The old window I have reminds me of yours. The older glass pieces are a little more subtle, but all of them are beautiful.

Eileen

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Belated Happy Birthday greetings Karen.

I love your antique stained glass and can see why it spoke to you and Carl.

Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you, last week.

Ah, those young whippersnappers... what do they know? They all want the shiny, new stuff.

xoxoxo said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!! That window is great! You cannot say it isn't shiny :)

Tootsie said...

we woke up to 3 more inches of snow today!!! HELLO!!! MOTHER NATURE? IT'S MARCH....TIME TO MELT!!!
that is a beautiful piece!

Alison said...

I love your new window! It has a sweet simplicity that appeals to me. I would have absolutely snapped it up too.

Alison said...

Oops, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday!

Diana LaMarre said...

your last line made me chuckle. I know the feeling.

I think it's so romantic that Carl took the day off on your birthday.

It sounds like you had a wonderful day, so my HAPPY BIRTHDAY is not really necessary since it already happened. :) I am just glad you enjoyed your day.

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Karen thank you for stopping by Keewee's garden. I too love stained glass, but do not have any. I think the love of it came from seeing it in my grandmothers old house, and now, every time I see a piece, I have those "warm fuzzy' memories.

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty window, good you and Carl were listening.

Rosemary said...

Love the simplicity of your new window .......... oh how nice to only be 53........ :-)

Beth said...

Karen, The window is lovely! Hope your birthday was great!
Blessings, Beth

Unknown said...

Karen your gardens are absolutely breathtaking. I understand how it can get old waiting for the spring thaw. I use to go through that in Fairbanks, Alaska. But then I wasn't a gardener then so my patience was a little better! LOL
Oh and Happy Late Birthday - 63 is an even bigger number. LOL