Thursday, July 14, 2011

The We Word

Despite our running around to view other people's hard work in their gardens and enjoying the company of other gardeners, we have been making some progress here at home, too, but we need to redouble our efforts.  Summer is flying by and we're running behind with just about every project.

I was out weeding on top of the Quarry Hill when Carl came home from work.   Here he comes to make an inspection of what we should be working on (everything) and when we should be doing it (now) and how important it is (very).
Here comes the Boss.
Carl is a very even-tempered guy.  He has a much more decisive way about him, not like wishy-washy me. He is such a contrast to my father who was Not even-tempered with a Capital N.  Though it is not in Carl's personality to yell and holler and lose his cool, he is a very determined man; an optimist with seemingly boundless energy and ideas.  And he can fix almost anything, though I gripe about all the stuff he saves (which is almost everything) he does have a vision and talent I lack.

So for our entire marriage, whenever something breaks down (including me) or the kids had a dilemma or I had another 'Bright Idea' I would immediately say, "Go ask the boss."   He isn't a blunt tyrant, not like Simon whatshisname on that talent show.  Carl's fair and just and has the answers, everything you would want your boss to be.  And he's open to negotiation and other points of view and he's very reasonable.
   
 What follows is our conversation while I weeded and the Boss patrolled the Quarry pond garden:

"There's a weird weed growing in the pond," (oh, goody) "and there's weeds along the shore (of course) and the rock work is in need of some leveling." (yup)

"And there are a bazillion and two mosquitoes!"  (Oh, I know, scratch, scratch).


"When did the waterlilies close up?"  (They do every night about now)
"Do they need to be deadheaded?"  (Not without a canoe.) 

"What are we going to do with this enormous yellow flag iris?"
"Dig it out."
"Do you see how big this is?"
 "Yup."
"Didn't we try to dig it out last year?"
"Yup."
"What happened?"
"We were apparently unsuccessful." 
"It's twice as big now!"
"Yes, it is."
"Why did we plant it?"
"It was a dried-up gift plant from someone and I felt sorry for it and put it in the water to rehydrate six years ago."  (One measly division!)
"Somebody GAVE this to us??"
"Yes, the gift that keeps on giving."
"I'm going to remove the seedpods before they ripen."
"Excellent idea."
"Do you know we have a lot of work to do?"
"Yes, I do."
"The mosquitoes are awful."
"Yes, they are."


"Let's go in, the work will be here tomorrow."
"Yes, it will."
Though I didn't say anything more than what's highlighted in pink while Carl was inspecting the garden, I was starting to feel overwhelmed, too, he's right, there's just so much to do, and sadly, all the work is of our own making.  I sighed as I swatted the umpteenth mosquito (ha, got two at once that time) and straggled down the hill with my weed pails and trowel in tow. 

 Carl must have picked up on my dejected trudging and said, "Well, don't worry so much, we're a team, we'll get it all done."
 
Awww......he said the WE word, I love that word!   I gave my boss a big hug.

And.... well, ok, Confession Time:  (Please keep this confidential.) 

I'm having an affair with my Boss.  

I hear this sort of thing is usually discouraged at work, but I've been Vice-Boss for 32 (almost 33 years) and so far, it's been working out.

And we'll get the work done someday.

We're a pair, er, I mean a Team. 


 You heard the Boss.




23 comments:

El Gaucho said...

Aww, how sweet. This makes me want to give the Missus a big hug when she gets home. Go team!!

Alison said...

What a great post! It's so good to feel like you and your husband are a team, with the same goals. That is the sweetest picture of the two of you at the end.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love the 'we' word too, and we are also a team. We enjoy working together, always have. We've been a team for almost 42 years now. Your whole wonderful quarry garden is because of dreams and teamwork.
(My DH also has a collection of 'stuff'. He has enjoyed building and tinkering since he was a lad. With all that he can do, he has saved us lots of money through the years.)

Love and hugs to both of you,
FlowerLady

Unknown said...

Awwww... That is the sweetest story yet.

Junebug said...

Love the team work! You two make the cutest team and I love the we work together. The we and team has sure paid off in an absolutely lovely garden. I always love when you post picture of it and this time we get sweet Carl in them.

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this view of the quarry...makes me yern for our fishpond to get moved to the front yard...(only been a year since we moved to the new house)

I am glad you have such a sweet boss...I am sure my hubby wishes his boss (me) was rational and even tempered all the time...Such things in ones nature are truly a blessing.

Kelsie

Darla said...

great post and your gardens looks lovely!!

Jester said...

AWWWWWW you're gonna make us all sappy now!!! You lucky lucky girl!
Cral sounds like a wonderful boss, specially the kind to have an affair with...yur such a hussy now Karen!! I'm still in total envy that he likes to garden with you, here, when my husband is actaully in the garden I feel like he is invading my space.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Karen,

Your garden and pond look wonderful. It takes a team to produce such beauty!

Eileen

Diana LaMarre said...

What a great team you two are! The garden looks lovely.

Lona said...

LOL! What a wonderful posting. You are both very fortunate to have each other. The Quarry looks so pretty. The Water lilies are really spreading out on the water. They love their home. It looks so beautiful.

africanaussie said...

I just love every inch of your garden. You might think there are things still to be done, but every photo that you post makes me want to wander through, past the gorgeous big bunches of flowers, walk along those stones along the waters edge, or maybe just sit and relax and breathe in the scent of it all. You make a great team.

Beth said...

Karen, I love your new header photo. The Quarry is so beautiful! You and Carl have built a BEAUTIFUL thing. Yes, I understand the upkeep is a lot of work...I have a garden on a smaller scale that is also a great deal of work. Just keep at it; remember, though, a gardener's work is never done...well, maybe when the snow flies...but we don't want to rush that now do we?

Granny Lyn's Garden said...

Aww Karen, I loved it, you made me cry it was so sweet.I love my husband to death but it sure would be nice if he loved the gardens and the work involved as much as I do. Your gardens look fabulous!!
God Bless, Lynda

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet story Karen. You two do make great garden (music) together.

Bonnie K said...

That is why I love blogging. While tv is telling us everything that is wrong with the world I see everything that is right with it on these pages. I too have a great marriage and nothing makes me happier than to know there are others out there as lucky as I am. Cheers to you and your boss! Thank you for the uplifing post!

Toni - Signature Gardens said...

Well, that story melted my heart faster than a Texas July! Very sweet, very supportive "boss" you have. Don't get overwhelmed. Remember we are supposed to enjoy the process, right?...not just work to achieve an end. I know that's easier said than done when you want everything perfect right away. But if you could look at your garden objectively, and see it the way we see it in these pictures, you'd know you're already there. Just gorgeous!!

Rosemary said...

What a wonderful compliment to Carl and how lucky you are to have found a kindred soul. From what I see the garden is perfect, I like the yellow flag and had a smile at the kind "gift" know what that can turn into.

Peonies & Magnolias said...

Love your post, a pair/team always makes the laboring must better doesn't it. Have a great weekend.

Sandy

Laloofah said...

Your gardens are... well, there are no words. Okay, there are words, like stunning, gorgeous, breathtaking, exquisite, phenomenal - but they are inadequate to the task. Your place could give any public gardens, professionally designed and nurtured by an entire crew of botanists, a run for their money!

Your Carl sounds so much like my husband, who is also very handy, unflappable and patient (in other words, everything I'm not!) and hasn't met a chore or project he's not willing to tackle or help with. Including holding my purse for me in public while I take my interminable photographs. :-) We definitely scored a couple of keepers! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos of the magnificent results of your teamwork!

Landbohaven said...

Gode billeder.
Hvor har du en smuk have og mange skønne blomster.
Tak for kigget.

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Your gardens are fabulous! I'll never complain about how much I have to do in my gardens after seeing how big yours are!

I'm so glad that I found your blog!
Barb

Sue said...

Loved this post. Wonderful!!
And so is your beautiful garden!