Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bloomin' Tuesday-Mum's the word

It's Bloomin' Tuesday!
Just click on the badge on the right to see what's bloomin' in gardens all over.


Above is a mum I bought from a big box store a year ago, along with six others, that is blooming beautifully right now.  This is the first year that all the mums I planted last fall made it through the winter.  

Since getting back from the hospital, I haven't been feeling much better, so any progress I've been making in the house and garden has been small.  Contrast my work ability to that of 90 yr. old Mom, who Joel had to order down from a ladder this past weekend.  Mom had set up the ladder and climbed up to the second story to clean leaves out of her eaves-troughs.   Joel arrived just in time to finish the west side of the house. I don't know how she does all this work!  She doesn't mow her lawn, Joel takes care of it, ( and in the rare event he can't make it, I do) but she still does all of her weed whacking and today was in the midst of thinning a wayward lilac bush.   She also cut down a 20' long row of peonies for the winter,  and she canned 20 pints of tomatoes, too.  And here I sit, like a lump on a log.....clearly I need to take a page from Mom's book and get going, and I fully hope to, SOON!


Wish I would have paid more attention to what color I planted where, but oh well, they are still putting on a good show.  

Tomorrow is another day!

9 comments:

Darla said...

c'mon girl, positive thoughts, positive thoughts! I love the colors in your gardens..

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Karen, you mums and those grasses look wonderful. I had one mum that came back huge. I am afraid I just don't have room to keep many of these. I hope you feel better soon.

Eileen

Mary-Frances said...

Beautiful gardens, nice to see the mums blooming all at once!

Paula said...

I hope you get feeling better soon. Your fall blooms are lovely - which shows you ahve gardened at some point this summer! Thanks for sharing. Paula from Idaho

Jean said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. Getting the run around from DRs sure doesn't help. Your mum palnts are amazing1 Love the combinations with the green shrubs and grasses. Jean

Shirley said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. Too often desire to do it all outweighs what is best for recovery (I know from personal experience) and we overdo it. So, don't be so hard on yourself. The garden looks great, as always. Take the time now to get better. The chores will wait. Stay positive. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Karen,
I think your colors look great!

I am so sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. It sounds very frustrating. I hope you feel better soon.

Karen said...

Thank you, Darla, working on the positive thoughts, truly I am!

Eileen, I know, I was amazed at the size of a pink mum that hasn't opened yet, it's as big as a bushel basket! Thank you for the good wishes, too. ;-)

Mary-Frances, Nice to meet you, and yes, it is nice to see the mums all blooming finally...they were kinda slow this year.

Paula, welcome! And yes, I did garden at some point this summer, though it seems like it was a long time ago. (And I have the weeds to prove it!)

Jean, thank you; yes, the silly runaround is sort of reminiscent of a wheel in a hamster cage, I'm going fast, but I'm not getting anywhere. I'll keep rolling though!

Shirley, thank you so much for your good wishes, and you are right, it is better to mend fully before making things worse with overwork-thank you for the reminder; now I won't feel so guilty resting as much as I have been.

Hi Zoey, thank you, too. I'm thinking things are looking up a little bit, not so dizzy as I have been, but the silly heart sounds like a jackhammer at times. Wish I was moving as fast as it is!

Beth said...

Your mums are lovely, Karen! Still plenty of lovies to look at in your garden! Hope you are feeling better very soon.
Blessings, Beth