Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Trudging on

 Today's weather was excellent for transplanting tender annuals, couldn't ask for better, with cloudy skies and temps in the upper 60's.  We had two bouts of rain, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and neither of them were long-lived, but served to at least settle the dust.  I would guess we received around 1/4" though I haven't checked the rain gauge.

We have only one week left before the first bus trip arrives.  Unfortunately, there are going to be many things left undone.   I hope the visitors are the kind of people who can overlook things.  Carl often jokes we should have 'Guest Trowels' for tour groups, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for those folks who love to point out weeds.  If they're looking for weeds, they will find them, heck, even if they aren't looking, a weed may trip them.  I pulled out a ragweed today that was almost 4' tall...............Oh boy.........
I have most of the container plantings finished, though I still have to pick up the geraniums and ivy that Mom wintered over at her house.  I spent the day trying to get all the annuals planted; finishing the bed around the mailbox, over the driveway and in the front garden. I still have several hundred left to find homes for. 

Our 'Knockout' roses are beginning to bloom

I hope the roses remain in bloom for next week, too.

 Mom came down this afternoon to do some weeding.  Carl had worked on the pan fountain repairs and managed to get it back up and running again which is great.  I missed the gentle sound of the fountain and the wild birds missed it for their private spa. 


Ann came over after work and raked up some more pine needles for mulching, which was so kind of her.  She even braved the white pines and their resident wood ticks to help us out.  (Makes me feel all crawly just writing about it!)  It rained right after Ann got started with the raking, and she took some beautiful pictures of the white pines:


The rain forced us all to come in so we had supper while we waited.

After supper, Carl and I divided several varieties of ornamental grass, including miscanthus and Panicum 'Northwind' and some carex and planted them on the West Berm. Then we took a turn around the yard looking at what still needs work and what we want to accomplish yet.  We have to plant the lawn soon, but we haven't got the grade right by the house and have to haul in some more dirt from somewhere to bring it to the right level.  I'm thinking we need a windbreak to the west; Carl's thinking we need to close up the trail over the bridge and make a ramp for mowing instead, and what we end up with will be anyone's guess. 

I have been giving some thought to the Elephant Mound or West Berm or whatever I've been calling it and have come up with a new name for it---  'Pachyberm' which combines it's pachyderm/burial mound-like shape with what it is, a berm.  While doing an internet search on berms awhile back, I came across a person who hated them with a passion.  Apparently she had purchased a home which came complete with a berm she couldn't wait to destroy.  She classified herself as a 'Berm Victim' which I found quite amusing after I got over the shock of realizing we have 'third degree berms' since we have three of 'em!  Ah, to each his own.  But the Pachyberm name is sticking with me.

Like I said, I don't lead a very exciting life and during twelve straight hours of doing nothing but planting and weeding my mind wanders.  Cut me some slack, ok?


 'Wine & Roses' weigela
I'm still reading Ruth Stout's books on hay mulching, too.  All the while I've been working on the mulch, I keep thinking Ruth is looking over my shoulder either cheering me on or wanting to grab my fork and slap me one up 'side the head.   Since I can tell she was a feisty woman, I expect I'd be getting the slap instead of the cheers, though time will tell.  Since I've yakked about it so much, here are a few pictures of what it looked like after Ann and Carl mulched the area behind the shop on Sunday:


I know the mulch will settle some which is fine.  I can see where it is holding the moisture very well but I hope not too well, though this is a dry bed anyway.  The white pine needles help to dress it up, at least in my viewpoint. 

Thanks to Ann AGAIN for all of her help!  

I have to turn in---Karen

No comments: