Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Monday & Scratchy Sheets

The sun was shining brightly this morning, but as the day progressed, the clouds moved in.  I took a chance and hung my week's worth of laundry outside again today, and was done by 10AM.  The sheets were ready to come off the line by noon and I did some light sewing repairs on the top sheet and remade the bed.  One thing I love is to fall asleep in a freshly made bed, especially when the sheets are dried outside in the sun, there is no adequate word to describe how wonderful they smell.  When the boys were little, one of them said, "Oh goody, I have scratchy sheets tonight!" so that is how I refer to clean sheets, too.  (One thing I dislike is when I forget to put the scratchy sheets back on the bed when I'm dirt tired and the last thing I want to do is make a bed.  Oh, poor me, I know.

Just as Monday is Wash Day for my mother, so it is for me.  Mom washed today too.  The only difference between her wash day and mine is she uses a Speed Queen wringer washer and I use a Maytag wringer washer.  Other than that, identical; yes, it's odd in this day and age to use a wringer washer and gasp! wash lines! but I am not likely to change and hope to be doing my laundry the same way when I'm 89, like Mom.

After laundry was done, I did some work on the hosta society meeting stuff which is upcoming this Thursday night.  I have to give my final 'State of the Treasury' address then.  Before I can give this much-anticipated speech, I have to find out what the state of the treasury really is since I turned it over to two other members in January.  I had the job of membership secretary/treasurer for over ten years, and it was..... well, I was going to type 'fun', but no, it wasn't fun, it was ok.  If it weren't for Joel and Carl helping me with it for the last decade, I would have quit long ago.   I enjoyed the people very much, but the job, though not ultra-demanding, was a challenge, especially with my helter-skelter approach to organization.  I am so grateful to be turning this over to someone else, it is high time I bow out.

After dinner, even though it looked as if it could pour at any moment, I walked the doggies up to Mom's and brought home the 574 per Carl's orders.  When Carl got home from work, we managed to place three more rocks and two more loads of dirt before it started to drizzle.  Joel had come home and changed the oil in his car and then we all set to work tidying up in the garage for awhile before supper.   I went in at 7PM to put the finishing touches on the meal and we ate around 7:20.  Too late, which is something I hate to do, but it happens this time of year since we don't like to quit working until dark. After we ate, Carl and Joel went back out to the garage to finish up and I did the dishes and then Carl and I headed to the oil recycling drop off with the waste oil containers.  We got home around 11PM which is much too late for Carl who has to be up again by 5AM. 

Another day is done already, too soon.  I am feeling rather melancholy tonight, for there are many worries on my mind.  "Worry is like a rocking chair, it keeps you moving, but you don't get anywhere."  I know that's not the correct quote, but it's late, I'm tired, and it's as close as I'm going to get tonight.  karen

No comments: