Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What's Happening

 Another warm one again today, but not as bad as Monday.  I was out in the garden by 7:30AM trying to beat the heat.  I started off with watering all of the trees, plants, and shrubs we have transplanted so far this season as many were drooping significantly, but I think most of them will pull through.

Since it was so hot, I spent a good amount of time watering and weeding in the shade garden behind the shop where we have a few different ferns:

Japanese Painted fern





The maidenhair fern is making good progress.

'Ghost' fern
Athyrium niponicum ‘Pictum'



I ordered some small trees from a mail order store out of California which arrived today after a week in transit.  Guess I couldn't have picked a hotter week for the poor trees to be sweltering in a shipping carton but surprisingly, when they arrived, they looked pretty good.  I purchased two more Abies lasiocarpa 'Arizonica compacta' and a Pinus Strobus 'Sea Urchin' which I planted just before dark tonight.  

Mom came over to help me weed this afternoon for the first time this year, but just as we got started Carl's sister and brother-in-law dropped in for a visit which was very nice.  I luckily had a beef roast and vegetables in the crockpot enough for all of us, so they stayed for supper, too. 

In between-time, we had a scheduled appointment with the power company rep who talked to Carl and I and Dale for almost an hour about the easement for the new power lines and planned construction.  I guess I 'm still going to see the lawyer in the morning just to have the document checked before we sign on the dotted line. 

Ann stopped in and helped with the dishes (and she didn't even eat here!) and then after the company left, we went out to work like the wind and with Ann's energetic help we got two beds almost completely done.  Thanks to Ann, once again! 

I'm trying the 'Ruth Stout' method of mulching with the rotten hay and we'll see how it goes.  Tomorrow the chickens will have to stay in their pen because I am going to try to begin planting annuals if it doesn't rain too hard.  Joel worked up the beds for me with the tiller, so I'm ready to go.  

Well, I'm dozing again, too much work and not enough sleep, I guess. 


Ok, it's not a fern, but I like the color.

See you tomorrow.  Karen








No comments: