Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Cooler Heads Prevail

And all other body parts too!

Hurray!  Much more seasonal Wisconsin weather has arrived.

'Queen Red Lime' Zinnia and a butterfly for your viewing enjoyment.

Though I still will keep on the lookout for wasps, I feel more at ease working in the garden again.  

Why can't all my winged visitors be beautiful?  (And not sting me.)
The hot weather did come in handy for some things, though.  This past weekend found me yanking down all the curtains and tablecloths in the house and stuffing them into my Maytag wringer washer for a good bath followed by sunbathing on the washlines.  In just a few hours, they were ready to rehang again, all fresh and clean.  

Ain't she a beauty?  I bought this antique lace tablecloth for a few dollars at a rummage sale a few years ago.  (I didn't stuff this one into the washing machine; I treat it gently.)
 There is one thing I dread washing every year, though, the biggest item of laundry in the entire house: 
Our Bedspread!!
   Mom crocheted the spread for us when we were first married.  I don't know how long it took her to complete, but she said she was at it for months. Every time I would drop in unannounced for a visit, she told me she would have to grab it and run to keep it hidden from me.

Unbeknownst to me, Carl knew all about her project, but kept it a secret as it was to be a Christmas present.

Mom had originally planned to make the bedspread to simply fit the top of our queen-sized waterbed
mattress (yes, we still have the waterbed) but without draping over the sides.

But then Carl got involved and told her it would be nicer if she made it large enough to reach the floor all the way around. So, going back to the drawing board, Mom had to figure out how to add on to the width.  I never learned to crochet, but Mom always said how much work it was to remodel the bedspread into the gargantuan beast it then became.

This is one of the few times I wish Carl hadn't gotten involved in a project.  Truth be told, I would have much preferred a smaller bedspread especially when it comes time for washing.  Mom said she had her doubts about enlarging it, too, but she did as Carl asked.

When I opened my gift on Christmas Day, even before I had it totally unwrapped, the first thing Mom blurted out was, "I'm sorry it is so big, but that's what Carl wanted.  I don't know how you will ever wash it."

Well, way to go, Carl.

And yes, every time I wash it, he hears about it all over again.  (The gift that keeps on giving......ha.)

Mom needn't have worried; I loved the bedspread and it is has kept us warm for almost forty years now.


Mom, age 95, in the garden for the last time in 2016, helping with fall cleanup.  I had to be sneaky when I took her picture as she was always camera-shy.
The bedspread is just one more lovely, loving reminder of my dear mother.  


Mom at her home, January 2017
 I will cherish it always.



 








 

10 comments:

Peter/Outlaw said...

Everything must smell so fresh and clean after being air dried outside. The bedspread is a sweet memory of your mother. Still keeping you warm 40 years later.

Roslyn said...

That bedspread is wonderful and such a beautiful gift. (even if it's a chore to wash) I can relate to how much work went into it. I started a cot blanket with a similar pattern for my grandson then decided a pram rug might be more achievable. If I was crocheting that bedspread you would have been lucky to get it for your tenth anniversary. It looks like you'll still have it come your 50th.

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

Oh, that's a great idea to wash and hang all the curtains during the hot, dry weather! Cute photos of your mom. What a wonderful gift she gave you with the bedspread. :)

Ellie's friend from canada said...

Oh how lovely! that crocheted bedspread! And I can just see, in my mind's eye, your mother just scrambling to get it out of sight whenever you were arriving. What a beautiful photo of a Painted Lady butterfly. About every 7-10 years, there is a mass migration of Painted Ladies northwards into our province. This was the year! They were everywhere! I love them! And what a nice thing to get everything out in the sun to dry. Blessings, ann

Karen said...

Peter, yes, there is nothing to compare to the aroma of air-dried laundry. :-)

Karen said...

Ros, I agree! I can only imagine how much time it took Mom to crochet the huge project. Mom wanted to be sure we'd use it, too; she didn't want me to set it aside and keep it for 'good'. It is in amazingly good shape, you'd never think it was over 30 years old. I know how much time, effort and love she put into each and every stitch. I feel very protective of the tablecloth, too, even though I do not know who made it. Just the time alone invested makes it a treasure.

Karen said...

Thank you, Beth! The hot weather had to be good for something!

Karen said...

Ann, thank you for the ID on the Painted Lady butterflies. I wasn't sure what they were, but we have oodles of them at the moment, too. Yes, Mom always chuckled about the bedspread's creation, "You don't know how many times you almost caught me!"

Indie said...

Oh what a wonderful thing to have! I have a couple of baby blankets that my great-grandmother crocheted that my children were able to use when they were little. So great to have something like that from family.

Larry said...

Karen... I appreciated hearin from you on my latest post... seems like forever since we visited... you have been through so many health issues of late but like me, have a wonderful partner in your spouse.... I also know that you are very familiar with the positive side of walking and skiing over just plain physical work... I pray that we both can continue with it... hope we get to visit next season... where does the time go? ... Larry